Friday, December 10, 2010

WOULD YOU LIVE IN A BARN? ABSOLUTLEY!


I recently borrowed a book from the library titled, THE NEW LOOK OF COUNTRY. It was packed full of inspiration and beautiful photos, but one particular part caught my eye...DESIGN RECONSIDERED. Not only was the picture right up my alley with it's iron daybed, antique arched window, Italian chandelier and old plastered walls, but the story that accompanied the photo made me smile. Enjoy!


In the 1890 short story "The Revolt of Mother", Mary Wilkins Freeman tells a tale of a woman who gets so angry with her farmer-husband for spending all of their money on a new barn that she takes up residence there. At the time, the idea of living in a barn was unthinkable. But today, our sense of what makes a home has changed, and our desire to preserve any piece of the past we can seems to know no bounds. Rather than lose barns, garages, carriage houses or former factories to the wrecking ball, people are rescuing them and reincarnating them as dwellings.


This story has got me rethinking our little shed out back! Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

I don't even think I would mind my new neighbours!

Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun Carrie, let us know when the barn-warming is!!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoooo, a barn! Sounds exciting!!
    Keep us posted!
    Carol in snowy Georgia

    ReplyDelete